Portable Heaters have been a Common Cause of Wintertime Fires
Portable heaters have been a common cause of wintertime fires in Central Whidbey. As temperatures drop, please follow these portable heater safety tips:
- Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
- Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn, including people.
- Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
- Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
- Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
- Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic.
- Never block an exit.
- Keep children away from the space heater.
- Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet.
- Never use an extension cord.
- Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.